Friday, September 30, 2011

Bernie's Tale

Naomi loved me. That was what she heartily said to me. She hugged me whenever she wanted to. She often softly grabbed my left hand with her right hand when she was going to go sleep. I loved the moment when the girl who always loved me, whose good smelled blond hair had been curled, had been hugging me as long as her sleep.


Otherwise, I hated the time when she was going to school or playing with her friends. I hated to wait her coming home. I loved the time being with her, and I wanted to be with her forever.  Just like what I had heard from her cute lips at the first time she saw me, “I will love you, Bernie. You are my everything now and forever,”.  

Since I said that I loved her so much, so I could not forgive anyone who made her being sad. I would remember all her friends who had already made her crying. I often insisted that she not go to play with her brat friends, but she did not hear me. I might be do any bad thing to them all, but I totally could not. If I could move and talk, perhaps they would never make my lovely Naomi being sad. When Naomi was crying, her mother always grabbed my hand and played my body in the same way like she used to do to me. I hopefully tried to stop her weeping, and it often worked. She stop crying and kissed me. There she was getting better. Then, the innocently giggle had been heard back to our house.
But unfortunately, the giggle was lasting long until one day, when I was grumpy at Naomi, when I was so blinded by jealousy.
***
“Wake up sleepy head! Let’s have some tea, shall we?” That cute high-tone voice had been waking me up from my long sleep.
“Here is your tea. Well, would you have some sugar? Oh, perfect, here it is, Sir,”
 “Naomi, Honey, I’m sorry for diturbing your tea time with Bernie, but, we have to go to granny’s house,” said her mother while standing on the door.
“But, Mom...”
“Oh, come on, Honey,” said her mother while hugging her, “hmm.. Look, I know this smell. I think someone seems need to have a shower,”
“Mom, no, that’s too bad to have a shower. I can be freezing,” cried Naomi.
“Hehehe..Of course you won’t, my Princess,”
“Okay, then. Let’s have a shower. But, Bernie should have a shower, too,”
“Fine.”
That day was a Christmas Eve when Naomi’s family usually visited grandma’s house. Indeed, Naomi would never forget to bring me with her.
On the way we went to grandma’s house, Naomi and I were playing some games. I was very happy if her feeling was happy either. Her face reflected the serenity, as if I were swimming in the ocean of peacefulness.
“Mommy, we have been visiting granny’s house every year and so, but I’ve never got a Christmas gift from her. That’s why I hate to visit her,”
“Hsssh... don’t say that. Your granny loves you though she never give you a gift. Remember when you was two year-old girl, you had just sat on your granny’s lap and then she brought you Bernie. Still remember that, Honey? She loves you so much..” replied her mother while driving.
“Just Bernie. Nothing else, then,”
“Honey, Listen! Bernie is everything for you, isn’t he?”
Naomi just kept in silence. I really could not reconcile what she was thinking about. Did she like me no more? I admitted to myself that my sadness was useless. She could not see my scowl, nor my sigh. So I tried to never mind it. That cried was understandable, considering her five years age.
Here we came, Naomi’s grandma’s house. I remember how old and memorable place of living it is. The round-shaped bushes, the squeaking wooden steps in front of the door, and the warm oak-wood easy chair in the corner of terrace, giving a classical western country impression. I remembered how Naomi’s mother played in the backyard with me. I also remembered how my left foot was missing, then grandma took me on her lap and made the new left foot for me on that easy chair. I remembered about Mrs. Balwell, grandma’s neighbour whom I had every morning came to this house. So long time ago, wasn’t it?
“Look, who is coming? My cutest Naomi!” grandma yelled in her toothless smile.
But, Naomi was still on her mood. She was mad of anyone, especially her grandma.
“Merry Christmas, Mom,” said Naomi’s mother to grandma.
“Merry Christmas, Sweetheart. What’s wrong with Naomi? She doesn’t look well,”
“No, Mom, it’s okay. Let her alone. She’ll be fine.”
Grandma was piercing at Naomi, “Ok, then. Come in, you both!”
A little while, grandma sat in the armchair, then said nicely to Naomi, “Naomi, come here and give your poor granny a kiss, then I’ll give you my secret treasure,” seduced grandma.
Naomi that seemed to be interested replied, “What treasure?”
“Come here first then you’ll be surprised,”
Naomi, then grabbed my hand, “Come on, Bernie,” then she sat on grandma’s lap, “show me now, Granny, show me now! Muach...” shouted Naomi cheerfully that then kissed her grandma’s sprinkled cheek.
I knew it must be the time that she had been waiting for years, getting a Christmas gift. And I was completely right.
“Here we go!” said grandma while giving the gift. But it was bigger than I expected.
“Woow....may I open it now, Granny?”
“Of course you may,” said grandma in giggle.
“Wow, look at those all new stuffs! Can you believe it, Bernie?”
Then Naomi’s mother came and said, “Oh, my God! Mom, isn’t it too much to be given to Naomi?”
“Mommy, look! Now I have a princess doll, a mammoth, a family of mice, and look, other teddy bear! I’m gonna play with all these wonderful stuffs! Yippii...”
Grandma was laughing and said to Naomi’s mother, “No, it’s okay. These all are the three years Christmas gifts that to Naomi I’ve forgotten to give,”
“See, Honey, how big your granny loves you? Have you said thanks to her?”
“Thank you very very very much, Granny,”
Day by day, Naomi was always playing with all the new toys. She seemed to have so many imaginary friends now. She did not care about me anymore. She often grabbed the other toys. Even worse, she grabbed Scruffy, the other teddy bear. Now, there was no private time between me and her. There were princess doll, a woolly mammoth, and the others, beside me being her friends during her sleep. I did not like it. Even, she barely invite me to have a tea time with her like before.
“I was her first love stuff, but now Naomi has forgotten all about me,” I sighed. How I missed the days when I was her only toy. Now, I had to put up with all these stupid rivals.
Each time my heart sank a little more. I felt like being dumped now.
One day when Naomi was grabbing a mammoth, she did not know that I accidentally was fell from Naomi’s bed and trapped between the matress and the wall where nobody could find me easily. I thought that it was better being trapped like that. Moreover, I thought Naomi would not search me because she had already have many new friends. Until the night came, Naomi got into her bedroom with her mother holding her hand. She was still having the mammoth in her other hand.
“Good night, Honey,”
“Night, Mommy,”
As her mother was leaving her bedroom, she yelled, “Mommy, I’ve lost Bernie!” cried Naomi sadly.
“Are you sure?”
“Bernie! I want Bernie...! He’s my best ever teddy bear! I can’t sleep without him beside me!” cried Naomi, sobbing.
“It’s okay, Honey, let’s find him together,”
I was surprised with all Naomi had said. She said that I was her best ever teddy bear. Look, how silly I was! Naomi loved me more than all these stupid stuffs.
After Naomi and her mother gave up looking for me, Naomi was back to her bed. Her mother promised her to have me back to her bed in the next morning.
“But I can’t sleep without him, Mom,” cried Naomi.
Accidentally, her mother knocked the mammoth down, and it fell down and trapped in the same place with me. When her mother picked it up, then, she found me. “Goodlord! Finally, I’ve found you!”
“Bernie..!!!” yelled Naomi happily and then she hugged and kissed me, “I love you more than anything else in the world! Don’t hide from me like that again, will you?”
“Okay, now go to sleep. Nite, Honey!” said Naomi’s mother while kissing Naomi’s forehead. And Naomi fastened our hug.
At last, I realised I was wrong about my prejudice to my lovely Naomi. In fact, she really really loved me more than everything. I proudly smiled and said to myself, “Yes, Bernie, that’s the way the life should be. Don’t let your jealousy blind your heart from fulfilling each other!” From then on, I forgot about being jealous and was happy to share her with the other toys.

~ the end ~

0 comments:

Post a Comment